Note: I had planned these books for early 2020, but it suddenly became not a great time to produce and import product from Asia. They are on hold until such a time as I feel pandemic-related hurdles will not make a big project unnecessarily more difficult.
For the past year or so, I’ve been working on a new round of books, to print some of the content I’ve created since 2012. Whereas the CAD 1.0 Box Set encompassed the entire first ten years in one (ridiculously giant) three volume set, the comics since then have been designed to be split up a bit differently, to account for the different paces at which I produce that material.
So I envisioned three separate “series” so to speak, and I have the first volume of each almost ready to go. That means I need to figure out how to tackle getting these printed, and that’s where your opinion comes in.
Here’s what I’ve got:
The Starcaster Chronicles Vol 1
- Remastered editions of The Starcaster Chronicles issues #1-5. I’ve gone through every page, fixed up artwork where it needed it, where something was miscolored, redid all of the word balloons, etc.
- A ton of extra content like species profiles, branches and ranks of the United Federation armed forces, artwork and sketches and the like. Lore stuff for the Starcaster universe.
- A section that details every single path choice that took place during those five issues, what the choices were, and what would have happened had the story gone a different direction.
Analog and D-Pad Vol 1
- Remastered editions of Analog and D-Pad Issues #1-5. Touched up and corrected art, colors and word ballons.
- Every Ethan and Lucas comic through 2017, including those produced for Patreon, arranged chronologically between the comic issues to create a continuous timeline for their story.
- The original three issues of Analog and D-Pad from circa 2006-2008. These are no longer canon, but I’m including them because they’re fun.
- Extra art and stuff.
Ctrl+Alt+Del 2.0 Vol 1 (working title)
- Every other comic I’ve made between the ending of CAD 1.0 in 2012, through the end of 2014, arranged into sections by series for easy reading. So an entire section for the Console Wars, a section for all of the Campaign comics, a section for all of the one-shots, etc.
- This is the biggest of the three books, and the series that will likely receive more regular new volumes, due to the amount of content I create.
So those are the books, and while future volumes may be staggered (for instance, I’ll have content for a new CAD 2.0 book more often than a new Starcaster book), for the first volumes I am in a postion where I have all three of them ready to go at the same time. I need to decide how I want to do that, and that’s where your feedback comes in.
I can do a Kickstarter for all three books at once. This is more logistically difficult for me, because I need to make sure that three separate books are getting at least minimal funding, and that one overperforming book isn’t carrying another underperforming book. However the benefit is, that doing this way could help save on shipping for anyone that wanted more than one of the books (since we can package them together).
But if there isn’t enough support for that, it’s more straightforward for me to run Kickstarters for one book at a time, and just treat them each like their own separate project.
Right now we’re looking at producing the books in Hardcover with a dustjacket, since that seems to be the far more popular choice, at $25 each. I would also be looking to have a limited number of “early bird” tiers which discounted the books if you bought all three, say $65 for the set.*
*This is all ballpark, just for the sake of argument. Everything is subject to change.
So with that information on hand, let me know if you’re interested in owning nice physical hardcover copies of these comics, and if so, which ones. It will help me decide the best way to tackle putting these up for order.